Saturday, November 1, 2014

Car rental with Rojam New Adventure Holiday Sdn. Bhd

Upon arrival at the Langkawi International Airport, we cleared immigration checkpoint and headed to retrieve our baggage. Before exiting the airport, there was a row of counters (more than ten counters) providing car rental services. There was no big names such as Avis, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, or Sime-Darby etc. Most of the counters was probably local companies.

We chose Rojam New Adventure Holiday Sdn. Bhd service. The car available was a Toyota Vios 1.6 and the rate was at RM100 per day. We took three days at RM300 plus RM50 deposit, with a total of RM350. The only setback/cons about the deal was that I had to pay by cash. They did not accept credit card. In a situation such as this, customers are at a disadvantage because:
  1. You will have to bring sufficient cash with you and parting RM350 on the first day is too much. You will either need to carry much more cash, or you have to use an ATM to withdraw more cash for subsequent stays.
  2. In case of a dispute or refund, it would be more difficult to get a refund if you had paid by cash as compared to credit card. If I'm not mistaken, credit card service do provide minimal protection to users in cases of dispute/fraud etc.
Anyway, to me, I think the first point is more pertinent to my case because I had to deplete my wallet of ringgit before I could even set foot out of the airport. Fortunately, I did prepare sufficient cash for the visit.

When the car was presented to me, my first impression was that the car was not good. The car was making a squealing sound and I highlighted this to the staff there. He said that it was "normal" and I just have to keep the engine running longer to minimize the squealing sound (from the engine). He also pointed out that the Toyota Vios is the last one available. Without much choice, I drove my family to our Hotel at Kuah town center. During the ride, the engine kept making the noise.

Fortunately, the car was able to bring us to plenty of places albeit with plenty of noise alarming other drivers, people, and even animals grazing beside the road. I guess on the bright side is that I won't be getting into any "accident", especially considering that most drivers will be made aware (and alerted) of my presence on the road.

I brought along my Garmin GPS during the trip to Langkawi. It was not a friendly machine and there is no way of doing a quick search like using Google. However, I was able to save locations for subsequent uses and that normally would save me time and hassle. I was able to travel with ease using the GPS, but not all the time because at certain places, the machine would be repeating, "loss of satellite". I tried Waze on my Samsung phone and I hated Waze. Without any Internet connection, Waze is a piece of crap. I was literally traveling on a white canvas because no map was loaded/downloaded due to no internet connection. I have decided to remove the apps upon reaching home. Sigh, when I returned the car to the staff at Rojam, I forgot to retrieve my GPS and left it there in the car. I guess the GPS is lost (considering that the staff had no information regarding my oversea address if they did want to mail it back to me).

For a Malaysian, it's very easy to fill in the application form for car rental service. I had to fill my name, phone number, and probably identification number. Rojam had no GPS rental service, and they don't have a baby seat for babies/toddlers.

The interior of the car was not really clean. The seat was fabric and hence, difficult to really clean it. The interior was a little musty (probably due to high humidity of the place).

All in all, the car did not fail us. There was only one time at Underwater World Langkawi that the car did not start. It was probably due to the heavy rain that probably cooled the engine and made it difficult to start up (especially when the engine was old). Fortunately, after several attempts and switching off the air-con and other electronics, I was able to revive the car.

For our next visit to Langkawi, I think I will opt for locally produced car such as Proton or Perodua. They will be cheaper and work as well as branded cars. Furthermore, some of the local cars might be newer. Also, I will try to look for counters that will accept credit card payment (if any). Alternatively, I will search for car rental services that allowed online booking and hence online payment via credit card. Online car rental services will normally have reviews from patrons and it would serve as a guide to choose for the best deal and friendly service.

Related blogs
Tips during travel

1 comment:

  1. This can’t be cost-based price-discrimination, it must be demand-based; but it’s difficult to separate markets, as my son’s behavior shows. singapore to malaysia limousine

    ReplyDelete